Friday 31 July 2009

Bullivant: 'I wanted to buy Trinity weeklies'

Independent regional newspaper publisher Chris Bullivant, owner of Bullivant Media, has told Press Gazette today that Trinity Mirror issued notification of closures last week on nine weekly papers in the Midlands despite having entered negotiations with him over a possible sale of some of the titles.
Bullivant tells Press Gazette he had entered negotiations for at least four papers – the Lichfield Post, Tamworth Times, Burton Trader and the Walsall Observer.
Press Gazette quotes Bullivant saying: "I think it’s barmy. At least one and maybe all of these newspapers could have been saved in my organisation as I don’t have the overheads that Trinity Mirror does.
"I would have loved any of them [Trinity’s weeklies] but in the middle of negotiations they decided to close the things."
Bullivant says he would still like to buy the Walsall Observer masthead from Trinity Mirror.

No comments: